Tuesday, April 17, 2007

A second

Yeah! Two posts in one day. I guess I want to talk about something deep. AHHHH! K-man getting deep? Yeah, settle down. So, here goes.

As most of you don't know, two of my biggest fears are heights and deep water. Put the two together (a la cliff jumping or flying over the ocean) and I'm nowhere to be found. The depth to this thought comes from this: Can those fears be transported into my relationship with God? I mean most people's fears don't affect their relationship with God. You don't hear people suffering from Arachnophobia having problems in their faith because of their fear of spiders or those suffering from Homichiophobia (those who fear fog) having problems with theirs either.

So many times God is related to a deep ocean or river. And my fear of deep water comes from movies like Jaws or the story of the U.S.S. Indianapolis where people are eaten by sharks who come from the depths straight up to eat them. And then there's the whole thing that if you drown in deep water they either take a hook and drag the bottom or leave your body down there. There are more reasons I detest the depths but that's another post.

With heights, our prayers often circle around us asking God to take us higher in Him. My fear of heights came from some bad experiences at the local county fair when I was young. And as the adage goes, "It's never the fall that kills you. It's the sudden stop." And my response to that is usually, "Well, in order for that sudden stop to kill, you have to be pretty high up and I won't be there."

But the point of this post is: Can my human fears affect my relationship with God. Am I afraid to take my faith to a higher point based on my fears? Am I afraid to dive deep into God's love and understanding because of my fear of deep water? I don't want to get to heaven and have God tell me that my faith was kept shallow because of my fears.

1 Comments:

At 11:28 PM, Blogger JC joked...

wow- that's the Kranny I miss

 

Post a Comment

<< Home