Monday, April 18, 2005

Thus far

Well greetings to you all. I don't have much to say today. A bit of current events for Kelly and Boyum, until you post again I'm removing you both from my links. So I just felt the need to post since I haven't in 3 days. I will be informal and short (hopefully).

For the second time this semester I did my homework before I have to go to school. Usually, I procrastinate. But I always do . . . Even when I was but a child. But anyway. Today, I was happy to read a conservative paper for my writing class (we have to read essays in order to appreciate them and for inspiration for writing excellent papers). It was on how the U.S. should basically abandon the World Food Bank and tell the poor countries of the world to fend for themselves. The author refers to it as the old Chinese proverb: Give a man a fish; feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish; feed him for a life-time. As harsh as that sounds I should elaborate a bit more. WE have a technology for commodities policy for many poor countries. We teach them how to farm for large economies and an even larger population; they give us raw materials. I like it. It totally goes against our Christian beliefs, but this is the kicker. If we, as a global society, don't enforce this; we will all be in their boat. The author uses a life-boat analogy to illustrate it. Fifty people are in a life-boat, one-hundred more are in the water, you have room for 10 more; who do you let in? The answer is impossible to answer (I figure teach them all how to swim). Basically, it boils down to this: screw them but teach them to fend for themselves. If they continue to depend on the richest countries for food, their populations will continue to increase. If you give them a steady supply of food -that they produce- it will slow down their reproduction rates. I don't know how you feel, but I'm in support of it. I don't get to read many conservative papers in the class-they're mainly feminist, liberal, whiney papers- for once in a semester long class it's good to read something that supports me. Well I guess I've babbled on long enough, I said short . . . I lied. Oh yeah I miss my mustache (it wasn't much but it was all I had).

Dangeresque

I'm a poor emcee!

"How long did it take you to grow that mustache?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home